Everyone loves homemade fluffy pancakes in the morning! The recipe I’m going to share with you today is one passed down to me from my mother. They are such a wonderful treat to look forward to in the morning! I always get a resounding “YAAAAAY!” from my children when I tell them I’m cooking pancakes for breakfast!
This recipe is the perfect recipe to keep on hand. You can add anything you want to them! Blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips. My mom used to freeze drops of cream cheese and put them in the pancakes. Those were fantastic! But if you are like me, I almost always keep it simple and eat them plain.
Why you’re going to love these pancakes!
These pancakes are a traditional pancake, using sour cream to make them very soft and brown sugar to give them nice flavor. These are a family favorite and I’m sure you will love them too! My kids are always so excited when they know I’m making them for breakfast. It’s always sweet to see your children happy to eat something homemade, made from scratch!
Why I choose to use freshly milled flour
I choose to use freshly milled flour because I know it is better for my family and I. It retains all of it’s nutrients especially when used right after milling. Did you know that white flour from the store doesn’t have much of it’s natural nutrients in it? They have to strip it of everything good to keep it shelf stable. They “enrich” it with synthetic vitamins that are not as good for you as the real thing. Here is an article from healthline all about why freshly milled flour is better for you. The mill I use is one of the cheapest electric mills I’ve found yet. It is the Nutrimill Classic. It has worked great for my milling needs! Here are the wheat berries I use. There are many different types of wheat berries, but I have found that this particular grain tastes the best, and has the best texture for this style of pancake.
Do you have to use freshly milled flour for this pancake recipe?
No, you do not have to use freshly milled flour for this recipe, their are many nutritious alternatives to white bleached flour. Before I had a Nutrimill Classic, I used organic unbleached flour, and they tasted just as good! Sometimes you just need to do what you can do and that’s okay!
What ingredients are needed to make these fluffy pancakes?
To make these delicious soft and fluffy pancakes you’re going to need:
- wheat berries for freshly milled flour or
- Organic unbleached flour
- Sour cream (you can also make your own sour cream with Sour cream culture)
- Brown sugar
- Redmond Real Pink Salt
- Aluminum free baking powder
- Baking soda
What tools are needed to make delicious fluffy pancakes?
You’re going to need a few tools to make these pancakes. These tools include:
How to make homemade fluffy pancakes from scratch?
Here is a video on my YouTube channel if you would rather watch how they are made!
First you are going to add the egg, milk oil, and sour cream to your mixing bowl and mix together well.
Next add the flour to your mixing bowl.
Finish adding the rest of your dry ingregients to your mixing bowl. The remaining ingredients are. sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Mix together well, but DO NOT over mix your batter! You still want some lumps in it.
Melt some butter in your cast iron skillet or whichever pan you choose.
Once the butter is fully melted, spread some batter in your pan. Spread it thin enough so that the pancake will cook all the way through.
Check your pancake after a couple minutes. If it has brown edges, check underneath to see if it has browned. If it has go ahead and flip. Cook for another minute or two.
Once you’ve finished cooking all of your pancakes, load it up with butter!
Put some powdered sugar on it, or topping of your choosing!
And there you have it! Delicious soft and fluffy freshly milled pancakes ready to be devoured!
Homemade Fluffy Pancakes From Scratch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baing soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First you are going to add the egg, milk oil, and sour cream to your mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Next add the flour to your mixing bowl. Then add the sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix together well, but DO NOT over mix your batter. You still want some lumps in it.
- Melt some butter in your cast iron or in whichever pan you choose. Spread some batter in your pan once your butter has fully melted. Spread it thin enough so your pancake can cook all the way through.
- Check your pancake after a couple minutes. If it has brown on the edges check underneath to see if it has browned. If it has go ahead and flip. Cook for another minute or two.
- Once you've finished cooking all of your pancakes load it up with butter, and put some powdered sugar on it, or topping of your choosing! And there you have it! Delicious soft and fluffy freshly milled pancakes ready for eating!